Hedgehogs – The Insects Eaters
If you’ve read Jan Brett’s classic story The Hat, you probably know and love hedgehogs. These tiny animals look like porcupines, but they’re not even related. Porcupines are rodents. Hedgehogs are insectivores, meaning they like to eat bugs.
Hedgehogs live in forests, woodlands and near ponds in Europe, Asia and Africa. They don’t live in the United States, except as pets. Hedgehogs are covered with sharp spines. When frightened, they curl up in a prickly ball. During the day, they sleep like this so they are safe. They come out at night to hunt.
Fun Facts about Hedgehogs for Kids
- Hedgehogs make grunting noses, which is why they’re called “hedge-hogs.”
- These cute animals eat almost any insect, including worms, centipedes, snails, frogs, mice and even snakes.
- Hedgehogs hibernate in the winter in cold areas. In the desert, they burrow under the ground during the day to stay cool.
- Hedgehogs like to be alone. They don’t make cuddly pets.
- Some pet hedgehogs carry diseases, such as Salmonella. They’re also very fragile and easily hurt. Think twice before getting a hedgehog for a pet, no matter how adorable they are.
- Hedgehogs have more than 5000 spines (quills). The spines last about one year and are replaced by new spines.
- There are 17 known species of hedgehogs around the world.
- A hedgehogs eyesight is not the best but they have excellent hearing and smell.
- A baby hedgehog is called a hoglet – how cute.
- Hedgehogs are lactose intolerant – not good with dairy products.
- Rodent: An small mammal that eats grain, seeds and nuts
- Spine: Sharp points
- Prickly: Sharp
- Hibernate: Deep winter sleep
Learn More All About hedgehogs
Learn more from this fun video about hedgehogs:
A short video of the little known facts all about hedgehogs.
Question: Can hedgehogs eat poisonous snakes?
Answer: Hedgehogs seem to be somewhat immune to snake venom. They do eat poisonous snakes.
Question: What do pet hedgehogs eat?
Answer: Cat food, hedgehog food and insects.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Hedgehog Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Aug 2020. Web. 05 Aug 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-hedgehogs/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Hedgehog Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-hedgehogs/
Hedgehog Quiz / Question Paper
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :