K2 – The Second Tallest Mountain
You’ve probably heard of Mount Everest. K2 is a nearby mountain in the Himalayan mountain range in Pakistan. It is not quite as tall as Mount Everest, but it is more dangerous to climb. In fact, one in four climbers dies trying to reach the top!
The K2 mountain is dangerous for several reasons. First, the weather there is almost always bad. Freezing storms and high winds make it dangerous. Large sheets of ice cover the mountain. Sometimes big chunks of ice break off and slide down the mountain. If you’re in the way, watch out!
Not So Fun Facts about K2 for Kids
- In 2008, eleven mountain climbers died. A sheet of ice slid down the mountain. Some hikers were crushed; others were swept off the mountain. The ropes they needed to guide them down were swept off the mountain too. Some of the hikers died trying to get back down.
- Climbing a mountain like K2 is very expensive. One trip can cost $50,000 or more.
- Sherpas are native people who help hikers. They know the mountains very well.
- Avalanche: sheets of ice or snow that plummet down a mountain
- Crush: smash
- Sherpa: native mountain climbing guide
Learn More All About K2, the Second Tallest Mountain
Check out this cool video all about K2:
A movie trailer of the movie The Summit, a film about K2.
Question: How long does it take to climb K2?
Answer: It takes about 75 days to climb the mountain.
Question: How difficult is this mountain to climb?
Answer: K2 is ranked in the top five most difficult mountains to climb in the world.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun K2 Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2018. Web. 15 Dec 2018. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-k2/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun K2 Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-k2/
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :