Lebanon is a tiny country in the Middle East that borders Syria and Israel. People first built villages in Lebanon more than 7,000 years ago. The country has been plagued by wars – most of them over religion. After Christ’s death, a monk named Maron built a monastery in the hills of Lebanon to escape persecution from the Roman officials. Here, he and the other monks spread Christianity throughout Lebanon and through many parts of the Middle East. When Muslim Arabs invaded Lebanon, they converted most people to Islam.
In the 11th century, knights from Europe were sent by the Pope to reconvert the Middle East to Christianity, which resulted in more wars over religion. During the late 20th century, Christian and Muslim groups fought a civil war in Lebanon. Today, the country is still plagued with violence because the civil war in Syria sometimes comes into Lebanon.
Fun Facts about Lebanon for Kids
- 3,779,000 people live in Lebanon.
- The capital of Lebanon is Beirut.
- Lebanon has 4,036 square miles of land.
- People here speak Arabic, French, English and Armenian.
- Most people living here are Muslim, but up to 40 percent are Christian.
- People in Lebanon can expect to live to be 79 years old.
- 87 percent of adults in Lebanon can read.
- Village: small settlement
- Plagued: seriously bothered
- Monk: religious priest and scholar
- Convert: join a specific religion
All About Lebanon Video for Kids
Here’s a great video for kids on Lebanon:
This video is all about the history of Lebanon, the conflicts and the civil wars. Present-day Lebanon is a cosmopolitan center for many nations and cultures.
Question: Do children go to school in Lebanon?
Answer: Yes, Lebanon has very good schools. Children here excel at math and science.
Map of Lebanon
Here’s a map of the country of Lebanon and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around Lebanon! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of Lebanon, as though you are actually there!
Enjoyed the Easy Earth Science for Kids Website all about Lebanon info? Take the FREE & fun all about Lebanon quiz and download FREE Lebanon worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.