Marsupials and Their Family Members
You’re sure to be curious about a group of animals with names like opossum, wombat, numbat, rabbit-eared bandicoot and Tasmanian devil. These animals are marsupials and almost all of them live in Australia. Marsupials aren’t all the same, but most have a pocket to carry their tiny babies.
Scientists believe the first marsupials came from North and South America. They migrated to Australia millions of years ago and have been there ever since. Some of them, such as the Tasmanian devil and the numbat, are carnivores. Others, such as koalas and kangaroos are strictly vegetarian.
Fun Facts about Marsupials for Kids
- Remember the ointment your mom rubs on your chest when you have a cold? Koalas smell a little like this ointment because they eat eucalyptus leaves. The leaves contain menthol, an oil used in making chest ointments.
- Tasmanian devils give off a stinky smell when they’re scared.
- Koalas aren’t bears.
- Opossums are the only marsupials living in North America.
- Many marsupials eat garbage or even dead animals. They are nature’s trash collectors.
- Curious: intensely interested
- Carnivore: eats meat
- Vegetarian: eats plants
- Ointment: thick lotion
- Collector: gathers things
Learn More All About Marsupials
Watch this interesting video all about marsupials:
A 25 minute video documentary about the different kinds of marsupials.
Question: How many marsupials live on the earth today?
Answer: There are over 140 species of marsupials. Some marsupials, such as the Tasmanian tiger, are extinct.
Question: Do marsupials make good pets?
Answer: Marsupials are wild animals. They do not make good pets. They like to forage for food and most are nocturnal. You probably wouldn’t want one scratching around your bedroom in the middle of the night.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Marsupials info? Take the FREE & fun Marsupials quiz and download FREE Marsupials worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Marspials Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 18 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-marsupials/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Fun Marspials Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-marsupials/
We've recently added
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
Sponsored Links :