Tasmanian Devils – The Land Cleaners
In cartoons, the Tasmanian devil tears through forests destroying everything in its path. In real life, though, these animals are small and slow moving. They only weigh 13 to 18 pounds – about the size of a small dog. Tasmanian devils are marsupials. They live in only one place in the world – Tasmania –an island off the coast of Australia.
Tasmanian devils have a fierce reputation. Early settlers didn’t like them because they ate sheep. But Tasmanian devils are good because they eat dead animals and mice. They’re like the garbage men of Tasmania. They keep the land clean.
Fun Facts about Tasmanian Devils for Kids
- Tasmanian devils have sharp teeth. They can eat almost every part of a dead animal, including the skin and bones.
- Tasmanian devils are nocturnal.
- These animals have black fur with white markings.
- Tasmanian devils make scary growls and barks. Sometimes they let out a loud sneeze to frighten other Tasmanian devils.
- They have a stinky smell when they’re scared.
- Tasmanian devils open their mouths wide to show fear or anxiety.
Tasmanian Devil Vocabulary
- Cartoon: Animated TV show
- Fierce: Aggressive, scary
- Reputation: What other people believe
- Nocturnal: Awake at night
- Anxiety: Stress
Learn More All About Tasmanian Devils
Check out this cool video about the tasmanian devils:
A National Geographic documentary about the tasmanian devils and their bites.
Tasmanian Devil Q&A
Question: How many babies does a mother Tasmanian devil have?
Answer: Tasmanian devils have as many as 50 babies. They are the size of a grain of rice at birth. Unfortunately, the mother’s pouch has only four teats so only four survive.
Question: Are Tasmanian devils endangered?
Answer: Yes, these animals were hunted extensively until 1930 when the government decided to protect them. Today, a deadly disease that causes tumors is killing many of them.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Tasmanian Devils info? Take the FREE & fun all about Tasmanian Devils quiz and download FREE Tasmanian Devils worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Tasmanian Devils Fun Facts ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2020. Web. 09 Apr 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-tasmanian-devils/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Tasmanian Devils Fun Facts. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-tasmanian-devils/
We've recently added
- Iodine Clock Reaction
- Make Homemade Fizzy Lemonade
- Make Rock Candy
- Ocean Acidification Experiment
- How To Build a Popsicle Stick Catapult
- How To Make Floating Paper Clips
- Animal Blubber Simulation
- How To Make an Edible Water Bottle!
- Hourglass Dolphin
- Atlantic Spotted Dolphin
- Hector’s Dolphin
- Dusky Dolphin
Sponsored Links :