Norway is a long and narrow country. At one point, it is only 50 miles wide. Most of Norway is too mountainous for farming. In some places, the sea comes inland in narrow inlets. Glaciers made valleys that are filled with sea water. These long inlets are called fjords. People live here. They farm or fish.
Fun Facts about Norway for Kids
- Capital city: Oslo
- Erna Solberg is the Prime Minister of Norway
- The currency used is the Norwegian Krone
- Norway has 118,830 square miles of land
- At 2,469 m Gladhopiggen is the highest mountain in Norway
- Norway has one active volcano called Beerenberg located on the island of Jan Mayen. It last erupted in 1985
- At 600 km in length the Glomma river is the longest river in Norway
- 5,233,000 people live here
- Most people are Christian
- The government is a multi-party democracy
- 99 percent of adults can read
- People here can expect to live 82 years
- The national symbol of Norway is the Lion
- It is said that Norwegians read more books than any other country per population
- Norway is one of the top 10 wealthiest countries in the world
- The Vikings descend from Norway
- Norway has a monarch, the King is King Harald V and the Queen is Queen Sonja
- Norway has some spectacular wildlife including – Raindeer, Bears, Lynxes, Polar Bears, Wolves.
- Spectacular: awesome, beautiful
- Glacier: fields of ice that have built up over millions of years
- Bounded: bordered
- Narrow: thin, skinny
- Inland: within the inner portions of the country
All About Norway Video for Kids
This is the best video we found for kids to learn all about Norway:
This is a video presentation of some of the famous nature attractions in Norway.
Question: How do most people earn a living here?
Answer: Many people are involved in building ships and shipping. Others fish or work in offshore oil production.
Question: What do people like to do here?
Answer: People enjoy snow sports, especially skiing. Norway is the birthplace of skiing. During the winter, many people travel by skiing.
Map of Norway
Here’s a map of the country of Norway and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around Norway! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of Norway, as though you are actually there!