Typhoon and Hurricane
Like tornadoes, typhoons and hurricanes happen when warm air mixes with cold air, creating intense wind, rain and flooding. Typhoons and hurricanes are the same type of storm, but they happen in different places. Typhoons occur in the Pacific Ocean around Hawaii and Asia. Hurricanes occur on the eastern seaboard along the United States and Central America.
Fun Facts about Typhoons and Hurricanes for Kids
- Hurricanes can be up to 600 miles wide. They move slowly over the ocean, gaining power and speed.
- When they hit land, they can cause flooding and destroy buildings and cars.
- Hurricane winds can blow up to 200 miles per hour.
- In the center of a hurricane is the eye of the storm. In this area, the weather is calm.
- Hurricanes can last more than a week, making them very destructive.
Typhoon and Hurricane Vocabulary
- Intense: serious, severe
- Power: strength, intensity
- Destroy: ruin, crush
- Destructive: able to destroy
Learn More All About Typhoons and Hurricanes
Watch this typhoon and hurricane video:
A video all about typhoons and hurricanes and how they work.
Typhoon and Hurricane Q&A
Question: What should I do in case a Typhoon or a Hurricane will hit my area?
Answer: Leave the area if you can. If not, board up your home and stock up on supplies like water, food, pet supplies, batteries, gas and money. After a hurricane, people often go for many days without water, food or electricity.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Typhoons and Hurricanes info? Take the FREE & fun Typhoons and Hurricanes quiz and download FREE Typhoons and Hurricanes worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Hurricane and Typhoon Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Feb 2019. Web. 19 Feb 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-typhoons-and-hurricanes/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Hurricane and Typhoon Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-typhoons-and-hurricanes/
Sponsored Links :