Weather forecasters that you see on television seem glamorous and exciting. Meteorology is an exciting career, but it’s not all about being on TV. Meteorologists are people who love science and love learning about weather. Some of them work as weather reporters on television, but many meteorologists work for the government or work for universities.
They do research on weather changes and patterns like droughts or global warming. They write reports so others can understand weather conditions. They alert people to dangers like tornadoes and hurricanes. There are many ways to be a meteorologist.
Fun Facts about Being a Weather Forecaster for Kids
- Over 96 million people watch the Weather Channel every day. Over 80 full-time meteorologists work at the Weather Channel. They analyze data and write reports about the weather.
- To be a meteorologist, you need a Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology. Some jobs require a Masters or Doctorate degree.
- To become a meteorologist, you’ll take a lot of math and science classes in college.
- Taking math and science classes in middle school and high school can help you in college.
Weather Forecaster Vocabulary
- Glamorous: glitzy, attractive
- University: college
- Drought: periods of little or no rain
- Analyze: study, interpret
Learn More About Being a Weather Forecaster
Check out this cool video about being a good weather forecaster:
A video about how long-range weather forecasting is done.
Weather Forecaster Q&A
Question: How much money do meteorologists earn?
Answer: The number varies a lot, depending on the job and the location. Most meteorologists don’t become television weather reporters. Instead, they work for the government, universities or private organizations. In these positions, they earn between $45,000 and $135,000. Television reporters in small towns can earn between $25,000 and $50,000. Those living in large cities can earn up to $400,000 per year.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Being a Weather Forecaster info? Take the FREE & fun Being a Weather Forecaster quiz and download FREE Being a Weather Forecaster worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.