Best Box Jellyfish Facts Video for Kids
Best Box Jellyfish Facts
Box Jellyfish is the most venomous marine animal. They may not look dangerous but their sting can be very much harmful. They have venom powerful enough to instantly stun or kill the prey. It contains toxins that attack the heart, nervous system and skin cells. Box jellyfish is also known as sea wasp and marine stinger. They live primarily in coastal waters off Northern Australia and throughout the Indo-Pacific. They prefer to live at the intersection of the ocean and a river. There are total 29 different species of box jellyfish. Although all of them are venomous but the big box jellyfish is the most venomous of all of them.
Quick Facts: –
- The average lifespan of a box jellyfish in Open Ocean is about 4-5 months.
- They have large stomachs that allow them to eat a lot at one time.
- Box jellyfish is almost invisible in the water because it is light blue and transparent.
- They do not have gills or any other form of breathing organ.
- A box jellyfish can have up to 15 tentacles and each is 10 feet in length.
- Each tentacle has about 5,000 stinging cells that are triggered by the chemical presence of a prey.
- Box jellyfishes generally feed upon fish, plankton and crustacean. They usually eat two to three times a day.
- They have 24 eyes in clusters of 6 all over their body. These eyes help them to avoid predators and find prey.
- The sting of jellyfish is deadly to most of the creatures but sea turtles are not affected by the venom.
- They are capable of moving rather than just drifting.
- They can swim whereas most of the other species float wherever the current takes them.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Box Jellyfish for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Nov 2019. Web. 14 Nov 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-box-jellyfish-facts-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts about Box Jellyfish for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-box-jellyfish-facts-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :