Best Emperor Penguin Facts Video for Kids
Emperor Penguin Facts
The emperor penguin is the largest of all 17 species of penguins. They spend their entire lives in the southernmost continent on earth, Antarctica. Here, temperatures can drop to as low as -60°C. It is the only animal to inhabit the open ice on this continent during the winter season. They are equipped with several special adaptations that help them to survive. They store large amounts of fat that works as an insulator for their body and also serves as a long lasting energy source. Emperor penguins also have small bills and flippers that help to conserve heat.
Quick Facts: –
- These penguins have a white stomach and black head, back, tail, and wings.
- The scientific name for Emperor penguin is Aptenodytes forsteri and they belong to the Spheniscidae family.
- Their diet consists of mainly fish, squids, krill etc. They prefer to hunt in the open ocean.
- The average lifespan of emperor penguins in the wild is approximately 15 to 20 years.
- They have few natural predators. Petrels and Antarctic skuas are two expert predators.
- These flightless birds breed in the winters. Their mating starts in the month of April as it is the same time when Antarctic winter starts.
- After the courtship that lasts for few weeks, the female lays one egg and then leaves.
- The female penguin returns after about two months. They come with the belly full of food and then they regurgitate to feed their newly born chicks.
- Emperor penguins are excellent swimmers and impressive divers. They can easily dive up to a depth of 500m and more and can stay underwater for more than 20 minutes.
- An average adult emperor penguin can weigh up to 30 kg.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Emperor Penguin ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2020. Web. 03 Jul 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-emperor-penguin-facts-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts for Kids about Emperor Penguin. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-emperor-penguin-facts-video-for-kids/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :