Best Facts About Owls Video for Kids
Owl Fun Facts
Owls are one of the most fascinating birds. They can be found on every continent except Antarctica. There are over 200 species of owls. There are two major categories of them: – Barn Owls and True Owls. Barn Owl includes 19 species and True Owl includes more than 190 species. Barn Owls can be easily recognized by their heart-shaped face. Owls have an average lifespan of 20 years. They have eye tubes instead of eyeballs which provide them binocular vision.
Facts you didn’t know: –
- Most of the owl species have asymmetrical ears that give them a better reception of sound.
- They are exceptionally good hunters as they can fly silently.
- They are nocturnal which means they are most active at night.
- Although they are solitary animals but their groups are called parliament.
- An owl can rotate its neck 270 degrees. Their necks have 14 vertebrates while other birds have only 7.
- They drink water very rarely as they get the needed hydration from their prey.
- Females are bigger and more aggressive as compared to males.
- All owl species are not capable of hooting. Some of them use other sounds for communication like screeches, growls, hisses etc.
- They are farsighted and cannot see the objects clearly which are in front of their eyes.
- The Elf Owl is the smallest in the world. It is 5-6 inches tall and weighs about 1.5 ounce.
- Owls cannot chew their food as they do not have teeth. If the prey is too large then they tear it apart by using their beak.
- They eat the whole prey and regurgitate the undigested materials like bones, feathers, teeth etc.
- They generally have a rigid posture.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Owls ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2019. Web. 21 Jul 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-facts-about-owls-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about Owls. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-facts-about-owls-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :