Best Hydropower Facts Video for Kids
This video explains some interesting hydropower facts:
Hydropower is one of the oldest sources of power on the earth. The power is generated when a wheel or turbine is spinned by flowing water. It is a renewable source of energy and does not produce any air pollution.
Quick Facts: –
- First hydroelectric power generating facility site of the United States is Niagara Falls which was built in 1881. It powered the street lamps of the city of Niagara Falls.
- The first commercial hydropower facility of America was built in 1882 in Appleton, Wisconsin. It powered lighting for a paper mill and multiple homes.
- The world’s largest hydropower facility is in the Three Gorges Dam in China.
- Tidal power is a different form of hydropower which uses tidal energy to create electricity.
- Hydropower uses the Earth’s water cycle to generate electricity.
- It is the cheapest method to generate electricity because once the dam has been built and installation of equipments is done then the energy source, flowing water is free.
- A micro hydropower plant generates up to 100 KW.
- Washington is the most hydropower producing state. More than 70% of its total electricity is generated by hydropower.
- There are two types of hydroelectric plants, High head and Low Head.
- A hydropower plant consists of three parts: – an electric plant, a dam and a reservoir.
- Almost 20% of the world’s electricity is being provided by hydroelectric power.
- There are more than 2,000 hydroelectric power plants in the United States.
- The United States is the second largest producer of hydropower in the world.
- It is not necessary for a hydropower facility to be large in size. It can be small.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun hydropower facts for kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Mar 2019. Web. 20 Mar 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-hydropower-facts-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun hydropower facts for kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-hydropower-facts-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :