Best Venus Fly Trap Video for Kids
The Venus flytrap is one of a few known species of carnivorous plants. These plants are native to North Carolina and South Carolina. They are also one of the easiest carnivorous plants to grow. These plants attract insects by secreting sweet smelling nectar. Primary preys of this carnivorous plant are ants but it also traps beetles, flies, spiders and sometimes tiny frogs as well. The scientific name of Venus flytrap is Dionaea muscipula. This plant belongs to both the classes Dicotyledonous and Monocotyledons. This carnivorous plant species has been referred as the most wonderful plant in the world by Charles Darwin.
Quick Facts: –
- These are not tropical plants but they do need high humidity and a lot of sunlight to flourish.
- Venus flytrap takes more than a week to completely digest a large insect by secreting digestive juices and then reopen the trap.
- On the inside of the petals, there are sensory hairs called trichomes. These hairs count the movements before closing the jaws.
- These plants also reproduce in a similar way to all other plants by creating seeds when their flowers are pollinated.
- Venus flytrap is also the official state carnivorous plant of North Carolina.
- Each trap lasts only about 4 to 6 catches. After that, it withers, turns brown and falls off.
- These are perennial plants which mean they blossom year after year.
- Charles Darwin was so fascinated with the plant that he even dedicated an entire book to these insect eating plants.
- Sometimes the plant starts emitting a fluorescent blue glow to attract bugs and increase the chances of getting a prey.
- These plants eat meat but they cannot digest human flesh or the kind of meat consumed by human beings.
- If you try to feed it the meat you eat, it will start rotting and die soon.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " All Facts for Kids about Venus Flytrap ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 20 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-venus-fly-trap-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). All Facts for Kids about Venus Flytrap. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-venus-fly-trap-video-for-kids/
We've recently added
- Microbiology Worksheet
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
Sponsored Links :