Facts About Spiders – Facts for Kids Video
Most of the people confuse the spiders with insects but in actual, they are arachnids, not insects. The main difference is, insects have three body segments but arachnids only have two body segments, the cephalothorax and the abdomen. Spiders have 8 legs and do not have antennas attached with their body. There are more than 40,000 known species of spider.
Quick Facts: –
- Cobwebs are abandoned spider webs.
- Most of the spider species are not harmful for humans but a few like black widows can bite and inject their venom in to humans.
- They are found everywhere on this earth except Antarctica.
- Hairy and large spiders are known as Tarantulas. They are not harmful for humans but the largest species, Goliath Birdeater can easily kill lizards, mice etc.
- Not all species of spiders spin their webs. But all of them produce silk.
- There is only one vegetarian spider species in this entire world, The Bagheera Kiplingi.
- Spiders have blue blood because in their blood oxygen is bound to haemocyanin instead of haemoglobin.
- Patu marplesi is the smallest spider of the world.
- Brazilian Wandering spider is the most venomous spider in the world. A small amount of its venom is enough to kill a human.
- Wolf spiders can run up to a speed of 2 feet per second.
- Raft spider live in and on water. They can easily run across the water’s surface.
- An average web can be spinned in approximately 60 minutes.
- Their average lifespan is 20 months but female tarantula can live up to 20 years as well.
- They cannot digest solid food so they turn their prey into liquid by producing some chemical and then suck it up.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Spiders for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Sep 2019. Web. 15 Sep 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/facts-about-spiders-facts-for-kids-video-2/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts about Spiders for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/facts-about-spiders-facts-for-kids-video-2/
Sponsored Links :