Oceans cover around 71% surface of the earth. There are total five oceans in the world: – Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, Arctic Ocean and Antarctic Ocean. The Pacific Ocean is the largest in the entire world. It is divided into two parts, North and South Pacific. Atlantic Ocean is the stands at the second position and also separated into two parts, North and South Atlantic.
Facts you didn’t know: –
- Pacific Ocean covers around 30% of the Earth’s surface.
- More than 70% of oxygen we breathe is produced by the oceans.
- The deepest point of the ocean is in the Mariana Trench in Pacific Ocean with a depth of 36,198 feet.
- Tides in ocean are caused by moon and sun’s gravitational force on water while earth rotates.
- Ring of Fire is an area located in the basin of Pacific Ocean that contains highest number of active volcanoes.
- About 95% of ocean remains unexplored.
- The pH of earth’s oceans keeps decreasing day by day.
- Two continents, Europe and Africa are separated by 14.3 km of ocean. If a bridge will be made to cover the distance than it will be the longest bridge ever.
- Tamu Massif is the largest underwater volcano in the entire world.
- Average depth of ocean is 12,200 Feet.
- Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain of the world which is located underwater.
- The longest continuous mountain range is also located underwater with a length of more than 40,000 miles long.
- The average temperature of ocean is 2°C.
- There is more than 20 million tons of gold in the unexplored part of ocean.