Giant Panda Facts for Kids Video
Giant Panda Facts
Pandas are mammals that belong to the bear family. Their scientific name is Ailuropoda Melanoleuca that means ‘black and white cat foot. In Chinese, they are called Da Xiong Mao that means Giant Bear Cat. They are shy creatures and spent around 16 hours a day feeding and remainder resting. Bamboo is the main source of food for them. A panda is considered as the symbol of peace in China.
Quick Facts: –
- They are generally found in thick bamboo forest or high up in the mountains of central China.
- Bamboos make about 99% of their total diet but they occasionally eat small animals and fishes.
- They can reach up to 1.5 metres in length and weigh up to 130 kg.
- They do not hibernate in winters. Instead of hibernating, they move lower down their mountain homes to areas with warmer temperature.
- They are good at climbing. Baby pandas start climbing only after 7 months of their birth.
- Mating season for pandas starts in March and ends in May. Female Pandas have a gestation period of 3-5 months.
- Baby pandas are born hairless, blind and pink in colour.
- Their average lifespan is about 20 years.
- A male panda is called a boar and a female pandas are called sows.
- Pandas are known to have an excellent sense of smell and night vision.
- Pandas have five fingers and an opposable pseudo thumb.
- They are territorial animals and mark their territory by scent produced by their scent glands which are located beneath their tail.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Giant Panda ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2020. Web. 22 Jan 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/giant-panda-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts for Kids about Giant Panda. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/giant-panda-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :