Giant Water Lilies Video for Kids
Giant Water Lilies Facts
Water lilies belong to the Nymphaeaceae family. There are total 70 known species of water lilies. They can be found all over the world. Water lilies are only found in shallow and still freshwater. Scientific name of the giant water lily is Victoria Amazonica. Water Lily is the national flower of Bangladesh and blue water lily is the national flower of Sri Lanka.
Fun Facts: –
- This beautiful flower is native to tropical South America and Brazil.
- It was first discovered in Bolivia in 1801. At that time, it was named as Eurgale Amazonica.
- This flower has got its present name in 1837 when it was renamed as Victoria Amazonica by English botanist John Lindley as a tribute to Queen Victoria.
- The Giant Water Lily is the largest water lily. It can grow to have a diameter of around 3-6 feet.
- The leaf of the Giant water lily can support a weight up to 30 kilograms.
- The flower is white in colour and it blooms only at night. These flowers emerge at dusk and close by noon.
- It is also known as Amazon water lily, Amazon water platter, Royal Water Lily.
- The Giant Water Lily is a short lived perennial.
- These flowers are hand pollinated in the season of summer. Then the plants are grown in the Tropical nursery.
- The flower has sharp spines that are used to protect it from fish and other animals but its surface is soft.
- The lily pad has open notches on the side which are used to drain excess water collected on the top.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Giant Water Lilies ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2019. Web. 14 Dec 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/giant-water-lilies-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about Giant Water Lilies. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/giant-water-lilies-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :