Hangzhou Bay Bridge
Hangzhou Bay Bridge is the longest sea-crossing bridge in the world with a length of 22 miles. It spans across the Hangzhou Bay on the East China Sea. This bridge connects the Zhengjiadai in Jiaxing in the north to the Shuiluwan in Ningbo in the south of Zhejiang Province.
This highway bridge has a cable stayed design for its main spans so that it can withstand adverse weather conditions as this area is prone to earthquakes, hurricanes and strong tidal forces. The Hangzhou Bay is one of the three strongest force tide bays in the world. This bridge was first proposed in early 1990’s but the construction started in 2003.
Quick Facts: –
- The construction of Hangzhou Bay Bridge was completed on June 14, 2007 and an official opening ceremony was held on June 26, 2007.
- The total cost of the project was is approximately US$1.5 billion.
- The bridge was opened to the public on May 1, 2008 after several tests and evaluations. This S-shaped bridge has six lanes in both directions.
- In the first years in operation, it carried approximately 50,000 vehicles.
- This bridge reduces the travel time from Ningbo to Shanghai from four hours to two hours thirty minutes.
- A team of experts prepared a full proof plan to overcome all the possible challenges that can occur during the construction.
- The biggest concern of this project was construction feasibility (costs) and the fact that more than 120 tests were carried out before starting the work.
- The aesthetics are prominent in every aspect from the shaping and color of each component in order to make sure that the bridge looks exquisite and grand.
- The Hangzhou Bay has a 10 meter wide coast and sand area in its southern bank.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Amazing Facts for Kids about Hangzhou Bay Bridge ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2018. Web. 16 Jul 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/hangzhou-bay-bridge/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Amazing Facts for Kids about Hangzhou Bay Bridge. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/hangzhou-bay-bridge/
Sponsored Links :