Henry Hudson was an English explorer who embarked on multiple sailing voyages. These voyages provided new information about North American Water Routes. He was born in 1565 in London to a wealthy family. His grandfather was also Henry Hudson, a London alderman who helped to found the Muscovy Trading Company.
In 1607, he was hired by the same Muscovy Trading Company to head the voyage to search for a North Pole passage to Asia. The ship was named Hopewell. He made a total of four journeys during his entire career. The Hudson Bay is named after Henry Hudson.
Fun Facts: –
- He is considered one of the most famous explorers of the world.
- In 1610, he was provided with a ship called the “Discovery” by English merchants. He reached the Hudson Strait and Hudson Bay during this journey.
- Initially, Henry Hudson thought that the Hudson Bay was the Pacific Ocean and then he sailed to its southern ends James Bay.
- Many Places bear his name including Hudson Bay, Hudson River, and Hudson Strait etc.
- He married a girl named Katherine and they had three sons together: – Oliver, Richard and John.
- He attended Harvard University and studied a variety of subjects including navigation, seamanship, astronomy, mathematics and cartography.
- His third expedition was financed by the Dutch East India Company and his ship was named the Half Moon.
- Hudson’s fourth and last expedition was financed by the Virginia Company.
- In the last voyage his crew began to starve due to lack of supplies and he did not treat them well.
- Eventually the crew members mutinied against him. They put him and his few loyal crew members into a small boat and left them adrift in the bay.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Henry Hudson Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2020. Web. 12 Jul 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/henry-hudson-facts/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Henry Hudson Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/henry-hudson-facts/
Henry Hudson Quiz / Question Paper
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :