Earth Fun Facts
Our planet earth is the densest planet in the entire Solar System. Once it was believed that Earth is the centre of the universe. It is the only planet that is not named after a mythological god or goddess. This name has been derived from the Old English word ‘ertha’ that means ‘ground’ or ‘land’. Atmosphere of our planet is composed of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and rest 1% is a mixture of argon and carbon dioxide. The largest living structure on Earth is the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.
Quick Facts: –
- The inner core of earth has the same temperature as the Sun and has enough gold to cover the entire surface of the planet in 1.5 feet thick layer.
- Only 5% of earth’s oceans have been explored by humans.
- The longest mountain range of our planet is actually underwater. It is called the mid-ocean ridge system.
- Chile’s Atacama Desert is the driest place on earth.
- Angel Falls is the tallest waterfall on our planet with a height of 3,212 feet.
- Our planet is one of the four terrestrial planets and has a rocky surface.
- Even though it is often said to be a sphere but in actual, it is not. It is more like a flattened sphere.
- This planet is about 4.54 billion years old.
- Mount Everest is the highest point and Challenger Deep is the lowest point on the earth.
- It is the only planet in the entire solar system that has Plate Tectonics.
- The actual time taken by our plant to rotate once completely on its axis is 23 hours, 56 minutes, 4 seconds.
- There are probably more than 2 billion planets like earth in our galaxy.
- It is the only planet where water can present in all the three states.