Lake Titicaca is the highest navigable body of water in the world as it is situated approximately 3,800 meters above sea level. It is surrounded by the impressive landscapes of the Peruvian Altiplano. It is located on the south eastern part of Peru and on the western part of Bolivia.
It is the largest freshwater lake in South America. It has a surface area of 3,200 square miles. The total length of this lake is 120 miles and the width at its widest point is 50 miles. Its average depth is 107 meters and the maximum depth is 280 meters.
Quick Facts: –
- The name Titicaca has been derived from the word “Titi Khar’ka” meaning Rock of the Puma in a local language.
- The shape of this lake resembles a puma hunting a rabbit.
- Lake Titicaca consists of more than forty islands. Most of them are inhabited. Isla del Sol is the largest of them.
- This lake is fed by more than 25 rivers and many glaciers but only one river drains from it which is Desaguadero.
- The catchment area of this lake covers an area of 21,726 square miles.
- The lake is home to 26 different species of fish and various aquatic bird species. Killifish and catfish are two most common fish species.
- The area surrounding this lake experiences cold temperatures most of the year.
- The average temperature of the lake is just eleven degree Celsius.
- It is believed to be the birthplace of Manco Capac who was the Inca civilization’s first king, the sun god’s son.
- Around 40% of the lake belongs to Bolivia and the remaining 60% belongs to Peru.
- This lake is large enough to form its own waves.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts for Kids about Lake Titicaca ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2020. Web. 08 Jul 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/lake-titicaca/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Facts for Kids about Lake Titicaca. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/lake-titicaca/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :