Killer Whale is another name for Orca whale. Their scientific name is ‘Orcinus Orca’. The Orca is not a whale, it belongs to dolphin family. However, it is not a fish. It is a marine mammal. It is a toothed whale. Although they do not attack humans but they have this name, Killer whale because they can prey on almost every marine animal including sea lions and whales. They are also known as Blackfish because they have long and rounded black body with white patches on the underside and near the eyes.
Fast facts: –
- Orcas are extremely social and often live in groups called pods.
- They are very intelligent animals.
- They are one of the largest predators of ocean.
- Every orca has a unique grey mark behind their dorsal fin.
- They can swim up to 30 mph.
- Male orcas can grow up to 30 feet in length and female orcas can grow up to 24 feet.
- They can be easily found in all the oceans of world. They can live in both types of water, coastal waters and Open Ocean.
- They are apex predator, top of the food chain. No other animal can prey on the Orca because of their size.
- They cannot smell because they do not have smelling organs.
- As they are from dolphin family, they also sleep with one eye open.
- Average life span of a female orca is 50 years and for male orca, it is 30 years.
- Their gestation period ranges between 13 to 17 months.
- They can control the flow of blood to their heart and brain.