Pangong Lake is one of the highest altitude lakes in the world that is filled with saline water. It is located at an altitude of 4,350 m above the sea level in the Himalayas. This lake is a kind of endorheic basin, which means it retains its water and does not allow outflow of water to other external water bodies.
The lake is a disputed territory. Only one-third of Pangong lies in India and the remaining in Tibet. The Line of Actual Control passes through the lake. It is a delicate border point.
Quick Facts: –
- Despite being a saltwater lake, Pangong Lake freezes completely during winter.
- The lake is one of the highest brackish water lakes in the world but because of its saline water, the lake has low micro-vegetation.
- Till 2014, visitors were required to get an Inner Line Permit from the concerned authorities to visit the lake.
- Now the lake has become a favorite spot for birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts.
- The lake is in the process of being declared as a wetland of international importance.
- The eastern end of the lake is disputed between India and China, while the western end is disputed between India and Pakistan.
- The lake had an outlet to a tributary of the river Indus called the Shyok River.
- This lake is popular for its changing color ability. Its color changes from shades of blue to green to red.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Pangong Lake Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2020. Web. 26 May 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/pangong-lake/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Pangong Lake Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/pangong-lake/
We've recently added
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
- Explore the Wet-Sand Effect at Home
- How to Bake Ice Cream Without it Melting
- Make your Artwork Dance!
- Food Insecurity
Sponsored Links :