Even kids who don’t like vegetables usually like peas. Peas grow on long vines. They have white flowers and they make beautiful garden plants.
- English peas are harvested when they’re young and tender. They’re removed from their pods and usually sold frozen or canned.
- Snap peas and snow peas make a great snack. The entire sweet, crunchy pod is edible.
- Field peas are harvested when they’re more mature and dried. They are used to make pea soup. In Medieval times, pease porridge was a diet staple.
- Researchers believe peas were growing in Greece, Syria, Turkey, and Jordan at least 4,000 years ago.
- Peas are most commonly green. They can also be yellow or purple.
- Peas are cool-weather crops. They wither and die in the heat but grow well in the spring and fall.
- Thomas Jefferson grew more than 30 varieties of peas on his plantation.
- These sweet vegetables are high in fiber, protein, vitamin B, and vitamin C.
- Pod: the outside portion of a pea
- Diet staple: the main food people eat
- Wither: shrivel
Questions and Answers
Question: What is the best way to eat peas?
Answer: Peas are delicious raw. They can be steamed or added to soups, stews, and casseroles. Just don’t boil them!
Learn how to grow peas in your own garden.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Pea Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2020. Web. 07 Apr 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/pea/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Pea Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/pea/
We've recently added
- Iodine Clock Reaction
- Make Homemade Fizzy Lemonade
- Make Rock Candy
- Ocean Acidification Experiment
- How To Build a Popsicle Stick Catapult
- How To Make Floating Paper Clips
- Animal Blubber Simulation
- How To Make an Edible Water Bottle!
- Hourglass Dolphin
- Atlantic Spotted Dolphin
- Hector’s Dolphin
- Dusky Dolphin
Sponsored Links :