Most people living in Jordan are Muslim and the official state religion is Islam; yet, several places in Jordan are important to Christians. The site where John the Baptist baptized Christ is believed to be in Jordan. Sodom and Gomorrah was probably in Jordan, as was the home of Elijah. Here, you’ll also find the ancient city of Petra, with its underground tunnels and rooms.
Jordan is a small, poor country that lacks the oil and other natural resources of its neighbors. The country is ruled by a monarchy. For many years, the ruling queen of Jordan was Queen Noor, an American-born queen who married King Hussein. She and King Hussein worked hard to develop schools and help their people. After his death, King Hussein’s son became King.
Fun Facts about Jordan for Kids
- Over 9.8 million people live in Jordan.
- King Abdullah II is the current leader of Jordan.
- The capital of Jordan is Amman.
- Jordan has 34,495 square miles of land.
- Jebel Um Adaami is the tallest mountain peak in Jordan, standing at 1,854 m
- The longest river in Jordan is the Jordan river flowing for 251 km.
- People in Jordan speak Arabic and English.
- Most people are Sunni Muslim; some are Christian.
- People in Jordan can expect to live to be about 61 years old.
- 91 percent of adults can read.
- If you like the Indiana Jones movies you will be interested to know that some of the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade movie was filmed in Petra – Jordan.
- Site: location
- Resources: raw materials, such as minerals, metals, oil water or trees
- Ancient: very old
Learn More All About Jordan
Check out this cool video about Jordan for kids:
This is a video showcasing the history, culture and architecture in Jordan.
Question: Is Jordan a peaceful country?
Answer: Jordan has had its share of conflicts, but it has managed to stay out of many of the recent wars in the Middle East. It has felt the consequences of these wars, though. Over 1.5 million Palestinian refugees have come to Jordan during the Arab-Israeli wars. Jordan is a small country that is mostly desert. It is hard to grow enough food here to feed all the people. With the refuges, feeding everyone has become even more difficult.
Map of Jordan
Here’s a map of the country of Jordan and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around Jordan! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of Jordan, as though you are actually there!
Enjoyed the Free Geography Kids online resources all about Jordan info? Take the FREE & fun all about Jordan quiz and download FREE Jordan worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Jordan Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2019. Web. 24 Jan 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-jordan/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Jordan Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-jordan/
Sponsored Links :