Penguin Facts Video for Kids
Penguin Fun Facts
There are total 17 species of penguins and all of them are found exclusively in the Southern Hemisphere. They are colonial birds that nest and breed in close proximity of a group. Their colonies can consist of tens of thousands of birds. Penguins are flightless birds but they were once able to fly. They have a specific style of swimming that is known as the porpoise. They leap in and out of the water in short and shallow arcs. The largest penguin species is the Emperor penguin which can reach up to 4 feet in height. The Fairy penguin is the smallest with a height of about 45 centimetres.
Quick Facts: –
- Penguins do not have any land based predators in Antarctica.
- They do not have teeth. They catch their prey with beak and swallow it whole.
- They also swallow small stones and pebbles with food to grind the food in their stomach.
- Penguins are carnivores and generally feed upon fish and squids.
- They have excellent eyesight that works just as well underwater as it does in the air.
- Their wings work as flippers to help them swim instead of flying.
- They can swim at a speed of 20 miles per hour.
- These birds have a layer of fat called blubber under their skin to keep them warm in cold climates.
- Penguins are monogamous creatures.
- Their white and black body colour works as camouflage while swimming and makes it harder for other small creatures to see them.
- They spend half of their time on land and the other half in water.
- They ingest a lot of saltwater while hunting and excrete it through their beaks or by sneezing.
- Although they do not have visible ears but they have an excellent hearing.
- You will not find a single penguin at the North Pole.
- They lose their feather once in a year.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Penguin Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 20 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/penguin-facts-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Fun Penguin Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/penguin-facts-video-for-kids/
We've recently added
- Microbiology Worksheet
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
Sponsored Links :