Pomeranian belongs to the Spitz family of dogs. The name has been derived from Pomerania, a region of Northern Europe where this dog breed finds its origin. This is the most popular dog breeds in the United States. They are trained as hearing assistance dogs and can also make wonderful therapy dogs.
These little dogs are generally cheerful and friendly. They are extremely social dogs. Despite their small size, they require regular exercise. They are very easy to keep in shape with a short 20-30 minute walk every day.
Physical Appearance: –
These dogs can be easily recognized by their fluffy double coat and foxy face with alert, prick ears. Their soft and thick undercoat is shed twice a year. They have a rounded head with a distinct muzzle. They come in a wide variety of colors including red, orange, white, cream, blue, brown and black. With an average height of eight to eleven inches and weight of only three to seven pounds, this is a true toy dog.
These dogs can be given dry foods in very small pieces that can be easily chewed and swallowed.
Smallest Species: –
The smallest species of Pomeranians is the Teacup Pomeranian.
History and Origin: –
Their closest relatives include the Norwegian elkhound, the Schipperke, the German Spitz, and the American Eskimo Dog. This dog breed has become increasingly popular since the 18th century. They were originally bred from large working dogs from the Arctic regions called the Wolfspitz. These dogs worked in the snow and pulled sleds around.
Famous People’s pet: –
Many famous personalities had a Pomeranian as their pet including Sir Isaac Newton, Martin Luther King Jr. and Michelangelo. They shed a lot less as compared to other dogs.
|Celebrity Name||No. of Pomeranian Owned||Type|
|Paris Hilton||2||Pomeranian teacups|
|Kelly Osbourne||6||Different types of Pomeranians|
|LeAnn Rimes||3||Different types|
|Fran Drescher||1||Brown Pomeranian|
|Lisa Vanderpump||1||White Pomeranian|
|Nicole Richie||1||Brown Pomeranian|
Quick Facts: –
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the famous composer of the classical era named a song after his Pomeranian, who was named Pimperl.
- They are really good at keeping their saliva to themselves which puts them away from the category of big droolers.
- These dogs are perfect source for companionship as they stick by their owners in every situation.
- They absolutely love meeting new people and gets along well with other animals.
- Although they are social creatures but should not be left with larger dogs as they can get injured accidentally.
- Because of their alert attitude, they prove to be excellent watchdogs.
- They were not officially accepted by the American Kennel Club as an official dog breed until 1900.
- They are more prone to bad teeth than other dog breeds so they require brushing on a regular basis.
- The average lifespan of this dog breed ranges from 15 to 17 years.
- Their temperament gets affected by a number of factors, including heredity, training, and socialization.
- They can suffer from a variety of allergies ranging from contact allergy to food allergy.
- Despite having a thick double coat, these dogs can easily get cold.
- Their coat requires regular grooming, once or twice in a week and daily during the shedding season.
- They can prove to be finicky eaters sometimes. They are overly picky when it comes to their food.
- Pomeranian dogs generally have very low or almost no tendency to dig.
- These dogs are big time attention seekers. They absolutely love it when get pampering.
- They are highly intelligent and very extrovert in nature.
- They can be very sensitive to heat and extra care should be taken.
- Famous sculptor Michelangelo had a Pomeranian by his side during the time he painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
Question & Answers: –
Ques. Do Pomeranian dogs snore?
Ans. Yes, they do snore lightly.
Ques. Do they have a tendency to be obese?
Ques. At what age, these dogs reach mature size?
Ans. 7 to 10 months of age
Ques. Do they change colour as they mature?
Ques. When the American Pomeranian Club did become a part of the American Kennel Club?
Ans. In 1909.
Ques. How many Pomeranians survived the tragic sinking of the Titanic?
Ques. What was the name of the white pom who became first Champion of the breed?
Ans. Rob of Rozele
Ques. What were the names of Queen Charlotte’s dogs?
Ans. Phoebe and Mercury
Ques. There are how many possible color combinations of this dog breed?
Ans. Twenty three
Ques. Who is responsible for the small size of this dog breed today?
Ans. Queen Victoria of England
Ques. Are they good house dogs?
Ques. What kind of temperament have these dogs?
Ans. They have outgoing temperaments.
Ques. Do these dogs bark a lot?
Ans. Yes, they do.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Pomeranian Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Aug 2020. Web. 15 Aug 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/pomeranian-facts/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Pomeranian Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/pomeranian-facts/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :