Rainforest Facts for Kids Video
A rainforest can be defined as a hot and dense forest with tall trees. Rainforests are believed to be the oldest living ecosystem on the Earth. Only 2% surface area of the entire earth is covered by rainforests but about 50% of the plants and animals live there. These forests receive a high amount of rainfall. The rainfall can reach up to 400 inches per year. About 25% of natural medicines have been discovered in rainforests. The Amazon rainforest is the largest tropical rainforest in the world. The trees in a rainforest are sp densely packed that it takes 10 minutes for the sunlight to reach the floor of the forest.
Fun Facts: –
- These forests can be found in many countries like Asia, Africa etc. not just South America.
- There are two different types of rainforests: – tropical and temperate.
- These forests are helpful in regulating the temperatures around the world and maintain our supply of drinking water and freshwater.
- Rainforests also help to fight the issues of global warming.
- These forests are being destroyed at a high speed of 8 million hectares per year.
- The majority of tropical rainforest lies in South America in Brazil.
- The trees in tropical rainforest biome are responsible for the majority of oxygen production in the air.
- Many tribal communities call these rainforests home. These tribes have no contact with the outside world.
- The average temperature of the tropical rainforests remains between 70 and 85°F.
- Insects make up the majority of living creatures in the tropical forests.
- The Amazon rainforest is sometimes called as ‘the lungs of our planet’.
- Approximately 3,000 fruits are found in the rainforests.
- Rainforests have more species of plants and animals as compared to any other terrestrial ecosystem.
- The Amazon Rainforest covers approximately 40% of South America.
- In Tasmania’s temperate rainforests, some pine trees can live up to 2,000 long years.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Rainforest ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2019. Web. 21 Jan 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/rainforest-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about Rainforest. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/rainforest-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :