Sahara Desert Facts for Kids Video
The largest hot desert Sahara.
Sahara Desert Facts
This video explains a lot of interesting facts about the Sahara desert, the largest hot desert in the world. It is the third largest desert overall after Antarctica and the Arctic, which are cold deserts. The Sahara immerses most of North Africa. It covers large sections of Algeria, Chad, Egypt, Mali, Sudan etc. On the western edge of the desert, the Atlantic Ocean is situated. The Atlas Mountains and the Mediterranean Sea are situated in the north, the Red Sea on the eastern edge and the Sudan and the valley of the Niger River are situated in the south. Sahara is an Arabic word which means ‘the greatest desert’.
Fast facts: –
- The highest peak in Sahara is named as Emi Koussi, which is a volcano in the Tibesti Mountains in North side of Chad country.
- It covers 3.6 million square miles. It comprises eight percent of the world’s land area.
- The Sahara has only two permanent rivers, the Nile and the Niger.
- It has around 20 lakes but only one with potable water.
- This desert has one of the world’s most severe climates. It experiences almost no rainfall, powerful warm winds and wide temperature ranges.
- The desert grows and shrinks depending on the climate.
- There are sand dunes or can be called as hills of sand are tall as 590 feet.
- There are some mountain ranges in the Sahara that get snow on a regular basis. It is not common anywhere else.
- Dinosaur remnants have been found in the Sahara.
- There are several underground water sources called aquifers.
- Goats and camels are the most domesticated animals in the Sahara.
- The Sahara was not always like this. It used to be rich, fertile farmland, and some parts of the desert are fertile even today.
- Approximately 1200 species of plants grow here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " facts about Sahara Desert for kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Oct 2019. Web. 13 Oct 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/sahara-desert-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). facts about Sahara Desert for kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/sahara-desert-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :