Sea Turtle Facts for Kids Video
Sea Turtle Facts
Sea turtles are the coolest surfers in the sea. They are one of the oldest creatures on earth as their oldest known fossil date back around 150 million years. They are reptiles that breathe air. They return to the same nesting ground where they were born to lay eggs. There are total 7 species of sea turtles and 6 of them are endangered. They live primarily in the ocean. They are cold-blooded. Both sea and land turtles are classified in the order Testudines. They can migrate extreme distances. They can be found in all oceans of the world except in the polar area.
Fast Facts: –
- Turtles lay eggs in the holes in the sand. They cover these holes with additional layer of sand so they cannot be recognized easily.
- Sea turtles do not have teeth because their mouths are adapted to each type of food they normally eat.
- They cannot hide their head and legs inside the shell.
- Temperature of the nest can determine the gender of the baby turtle.
- They have excellent eyesight and sense of smell.
- Leatherback sea turtles can travel more than 10,000 miles per year.
- They can hold their breath for a very long time.
- They are solitary nesters.
- Eggs of sea turtles look somewhat like ping pong balls.
- A female turtle can lay up to 150 eggs every two to three years.
- Average life span of a sea turtle is 70-80 years.
- They can hear vibrations.
- The leatherback sea turtle is the largest turtle and heaviest reptile in the entire world.
- The Kemp’s Ridley turtle is the smallest sea turtle.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Sea Turtle Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2018. Web. 10 Dec 2018. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/sea-turtle-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Sea Turtle Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/sea-turtle-facts-for-kids-video/
We've recently added
- Syria Worksheet and Quiz
- Samoa Worksheet and Quiz
- Neil Armstrong Worksheet and Quiz
- Mount Everest Worksheet and Quiz
- Henry Hudson Worksheet and Quiz
- Guatemala Worksheet and Quiz
- Cleopatra Worksheet and Quiz
- Carl Linnaeus Worksheet and Quiz
- Canada Worksheet and Quiz
- Turtle Worksheet and Quiz
Sponsored Links :