- The Struthiomimus looked a lot like a modern ostrich. It had a small head, a long, thin neck, short arms, and powerful legs. It had a small, toothless beak and it probably had feathers.
- But in spite of these similarities, modern ostriches and other birds did not evolve from Struthiomimus. They are two completely different animals.
- This is called convergent evolution. Two unrelated species of animals develop similar traits based on their environments. Modern examples include hedgehogs and porcupines or fish and whales.
- Struthiomimus lived during the Late Cretaceous period, about 75 million to 66 million years ago. Birds were already on the planet living alongside this dinosaur.
- This dinosaur lived in the western United States and Alberta, Canada.
- It was probably one of the fastest runners of its day. Although it wasn’t related to ostriches, it does have a similar build. Modern ostriches can run between 30 and 50 miles per hour. Scientists think Struthiomimus was probably just as fast.
- This dinosaur was 14 feet long.
- Scientists aren’t sure what it ate. Its arms were short and its claws were all the same length. It had a small mouth and teeth so it probably didn’t eat large prey. It might have eaten a combination of plants and small animals or insects.
Questions and Answers
Question: What does Struthiomimus mean?
Answer: Struthiomimus means “ostrich mimic” in Latin.
Watch a video about Struthiomimus.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " All Facts for Kids about Struthiomimus Dinosaur ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2020. Web. 12 Jul 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/struthiomimus/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). All Facts for Kids about Struthiomimus Dinosaur. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/struthiomimus/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :