The Twelve apostles is a group of rock formations which are the consequences of ongoing erosion of mainland limestone cliffs by the water and wind of the Southern Ocean. They initially went by the name of Sow and Piglets. The Sow was Mutton Bird Island and her Piglets were the 12 Apostles.
The name was changed in the 1950s to represent the Biblical Twelve Apostles. These rock formations are located in the Port Campbell National Park in Victoria, Australia.
Quick Facts: –
- The Twelve Apostles are a stellar example of earth’s natural transformation, which has been going on ever since its inception.
- The limestone rocks at Port Campbell are estimated to be approximately 15 to 20 million years old.
- Currently there are only eight rock stacks and in the past there was nine rock stacks.
- On a map dated 1846, there were a lot more than twelve rock stacks on this site.
- The beach can be accessed via Gibsons Steps to view the imposing 70-meter high vertical cliff line.
- These rock formation turn into colors of sandy yellow and orange under a full sun at sunrise and sunset.
- Approximately 1.7 million people visit the Twelve Apostles every year.
- It is estimated that the formations we now see have taken shape over the last 6000 years.
- The road to the 12 apostles is breath-taking with its dramatic, rugged cliffs carved from the sea and its panoramic views.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Twelve Apostles Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 18 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/twelve-apostles/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Twelve Apostles Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/twelve-apostles/
We've recently added
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
Sponsored Links :