Types of Minerals Video for Kids
Types of Minerals
A mineral can be defined as an inorganic substance that occurs naturally in the earth’s crust and can be represented by a chemical formula. These substances are an important part of our everyday life. Minerals are generally solid at room temperature and have a crystal structure because its atoms have a definite arrangement. More than 3,000 different minerals have been found. There are two different types of minerals which are metallic minerals and non-metallic minerals. Iron ore is an example of metallic minerals and limestone is an example of non-metallic minerals.
Quick Facts: –
- The hardest mineral in the entire world is the diamond. It is made up of just carbon.
- Quartz is the most common type of mineral found on the earth. It contains two oxygen atoms for every silicon atom.
- Large mineral crystals are produced when magma cools at a slow rate and small crystals are produced when magma cools at a fast rate.
- Approximately 60% of the earth’s crust is covered by the mineral feldspar. This mineral is used to make ceramics.
- There are 16 different minerals that are required in our diet. The human body requires minerals different from the ones found in nature.
- Our body needs the elements found within the minerals.
- Ruby and Sapphire are formed of a mineral called corundum that comprises of aluminum oxide.
- Plagioclase belongs to the same mineral family as feldspar. It is used to identify the origin of igneous rocks.
- The ability of minerals to scratch each other is measured by the Mohs scale of hardness.
- Approximately 30 types of minerals are commonly found in the earth’s crust.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts for Kids about Types of Minerals ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 17 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/types-of-minerals-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Facts for Kids about Types of Minerals. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/types-of-minerals-video-for-kids/
We've recently added
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
Sponsored Links :