Aardvarks – The Earth Pigs
The word “aardvark” means earth-pig in a native African language, and these animals do look a little bit like pigs. They have long snouts and rounded bodies. But, they also have ears like a rabbit and a tail like a kangaroo.
These mixed-up creatures live in central and southern Africa. To escape the heat, they spend their days lounging underground in cool, dark burrows. At night, they come out to dine on their favorite food—termites. Aardvarks use their sharp claws and shovel-like paws to dig through termite hills. Then, their long, skinny tongues lap up millions of termites. Yum!
Fun Facts about Aardvarks for Kids
- Aardvarks are sometimes called “antbears.”
- Aardvarks can close their nostrils to keep out dirt and bugs while they dig.
- Their thick skin protects them from termite and ant bites.
- Aardvarks are powerful diggers. They can build a big burrow in 5 to 20 minutes. Other animals like to live in old aardvark burrows.
- Aardvarks have sticky tongues, which help them catch bugs.
- Snout: Long nose
- Lounging: Sleeping or lying around
- Burrow: Underground home
- Dine: Eat
- Nostrils: Holes in the nose
Learn More All About Aardvarks
Have a look at this cute video about a baby aardvark:
A short video about a baby aardvark playing around the park.
Question: Why are an aardvark’s ears so long?
Answer: Aardvarks have excellent hearing and their long ears allow them to hear tiny sounds, such as termites under the ground.
Question: How do aardvarks take care of their babies?
Answer: Aardvarks usually have only one baby at a time. The baby is born in a den and mama takes care of it for up to one year.
Enjoyed the Natural Science for Kids website all about Aardvarks info? Take the FREE & fun all about Aardvarks quiz and download FREE Aardvarks worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Aardvark Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 24 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-aardvarks/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Fun Aardvark Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-aardvarks/
We've recently added
- Microbiology Worksheet
- All About Microbiology
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
Sponsored Links :