Belize is a beautiful, tropical country known for breathtaking sunsets, abundant wildlife and clear, warm ocean waters. Off the coast of Belize lies the second largest barrier reef in the world. Here, sea anemones, lobsters and tropical fish live.
Belize has a British colony for many years. It gained its independence in 1981. The official language here is English, although people speak English, Spanish, Mayan or Creole, which is an African dialect. Belize often has severe storms and hurricanes. In 1961, a terrible hurricane and tidal wave destroyed the capital city. The people moved the capital city inland 50 miles to protect it.
Fun Facts About Belize for Kids
- The capital city of Belize is Belmopan.
- The population of Belize is 356,000.
- Belize has only 8,803 square miles of land.
- The official language in Belize is English but some people speak Kriol and Spanish.
- Most people are Roman Catholic.
- 93 percent of adults can read.
- People in Belize can expect to live to be 75 years old.
- Abundant: plentiful
- Clear: unpolluted, transparent
- Colony: a settlement belonging to another government
- Dialect: varied form of language
About Belize Video for Kids
Check out this cool video all about Belize for kids:
Question: Is Belize a peaceful country?
Answer: Belize is a more peaceful country than many of its neighbors. Refugees from other countries often go to Belize.
Map of Belize
Here’s a map of the country of Belize and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around Belize! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of Belize, as though you are actually there!
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Belize Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2020. Web. 27 May 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-belize/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Belize Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-belize/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :