Panama is probably best known for the Panama Canal, which was built by the United States in 1914 at a cost of $380 million. Over 75,000 workers took ten years to build this canal. Many people died while working on the canal.
The canal stretches 51 miles across the country, creating a travel route from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean. Without this route, ships would have to travel around South America to reach Asia and the Pacific Northwest.
Panama has rich farmland, where farmers grow vegetables, coffee and bananas. Panama is a beautiful country, with many rivers, white beaches and mountains. Off the coast of Panama are over 1,500 islands. Sea turtles, tree frogs and many other animals live in Panama.
Fun Facts about Panama for Kids
- People in Panama believe in close families. Extended families may live together and the people celebrate many festivals.
- Children go to school from the ages of 7 to 15.
- Juan Carols Varela is the current President of Panama (data July 2018).
- 4,162,618 people live in Panama (data July 2018).
- Panama has 29,340 square miles of land.
- At 3,475 m the Volcan Baru is the tallest mountain in Panama and also an active volcano. The last eruption was back in 1550.
- 92 percent of adults can read.
- Spanish is the main language used in Panama.
- People in Panama can expect to live 78.93 years.
- Most people are Christian.
- Panama has a multiparty democracy.
- Panama is also home to the Tree Toed Sloth – Tapirs – Anteaters – Jaguars – Bats – Monkeys and much more.
- After the Amazon rainforest the Panama rainforest is the largest on the American continent.
- The Panama railway was built by the US in 1855.
- Christopher Columbus in the year 1502 visited Panama.
- Balboa is the currency used in Panama. It’s the exact same as the dollar.
- The official language in Panama is Spanish although most Panamanians speak English.
- Route: road, path, way
- Canal: man-made river
- Festival: party, celebration
All About Panama Video for Kids
Here’s the best kids Panama video you can watch right now to learn more all about Panama
Question: Has Panama endured wars like other Central American countries?
Answer: Panama has had its share of political problems. In 1989, U.S. troops invaded Panama and threw out General Manuel Noriega because he was involved in drug trafficking. Since then, the country has had problems with corrupt leaders.
Map of Panama
Here’s a map of the country of Panama and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around Panama! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of Panama, as though you are actually there!
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Panama Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Oct 2019. Web. 20 Oct 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-panama/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Panama Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-panama/
Panama Quiz / Question Paper
Sponsored Links :