Freshwater Birds and Their Types
Freshwater birds are birds that live near rivers and lakes, instead of the ocean or sea. These birds are usually expert divers and swimmers and have thick, downy feathers to keep them warm. Some freshwater fish migrate during the winter to warmer waters. Others live year-round in warm areas.
Think about the birds that live near water in your area. Geese or ducks probably live in parks or near golf courses. You might find a blue heron or kingfisher near wetlands and swamps. If you live down south, you might even spy a few flamingos or storks. Wherever you live, freshwater birds are fun to watch.
Fun Facts about Freshwater Birds for Kids
- Ducks and geese live on almost every continent in the world.
- Swans mate for life. They touch beaks to kiss.
- Kingfishers dive for fish.
- Flamingos are pink because of the food they eat.
- Storks are considered a symbol of good luck
Freshwater Bird Vocabulary
- Expert: very talented to experienced
- Downy: soft, fluffy, thick
- Migrate: move temporarily
- Wetland: moist, wet areas near lakes and ponds
- Symbol: used to represent or mean something else
Learn More All About Freshwater Birds
Some of these freshwater birds are raised for their meat and eggs or as pets. Watch this video to learn how to raise geese and ducks:
A Martha Stewart episode of how to raise geese and ducks.
Freshwater Bird Q&A
Question: What do freshwater birds eat?
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Freshwater Birds info? Take the FREE & fun all about Freshwater Birds quiz and download FREE Freshwater Birds worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Freshwater Bird Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Nov 2020. Web. 30 Nov 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-freshwater-birds/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Freshwater Bird Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-freshwater-birds/
We've recently added
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Facts for kids
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
Sponsored Links :