Giant Pandas – The Most Loved Bears
Of all the bears, giant pandas are probably the most loved. These slow, peaceful animals have rounded faces and almost look like they’re smiling. Pandas live in the mountains and forests of China. Chinese people have loved them for thousands of years.
There are only 1,600 giant pandas left in the wild. They are the most endangered animal in the world. Pandas eat mostly bamboo, which grows slowly. If the bamboo runs out, the pandas starve. There are many people in China. It is crowded. Pandas are running out of room to live. But, scientists are helping the pandas.
Fun Facts about Giant Pandas for Kids
- Giant pandas don’t hibernate or live in dens. They live in trees or caves.
- Chinese emperors kept pandas as pets. Ancient Chinese thought giant pandas could keep bad spirits away. They thought pandas were magical.
- Giant pandas eat mostly bamboo, instead of meat. Bamboo is a small, woody plant or tree. Pandas have strong jaws for chewing this tough food. Sometimes pandas eat small mammals, lizards or bugs.
- Pandas spend up to 12 hours each day eating bamboo. They can eat 80 pounds of bamboo in one day.
- Giant pandas have thick fur to keep them warm.
- Panda moms usually have only one baby at a time. Sometimes they have twins. Taking care of baby pandas is hard work. They are helpless. They are blind for almost two months.
Giant Panda Vocabulary
- Peaceful: Gentle, avoids fights
- Endangered: Might become extinct, or disappear from earth
- Magical: Able to perform magic
- Bamboo: A type of woody plant
- Helpless: Unable to feed or care for itself
Learn More All About Giant Pandas
Check out this cute playful video all about giant pandas:
A news clip of a baby panda’s first encounter with snow at the San Diego Zoo.
Giant Panda Q&A
Question: Do giant pandas roar like other bears?
Answer: Giant pandas make a bleating sound like a sheep or goat. Sometimes they growl or huff, but they don’t usually have loud roars.
Question: Do panda bears stay in one place?
Answer: Panda bears in the wild move from place to place looking for food.
Question: Can pandas do kung fu?
Answer: No, pandas aren’t really kung fu masters, but they are very flexible. They like to wrestle and roll around. They can even do somersaults.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Giant Pandas info? Take the FREE & fun all about Giant Pandas quiz and download FREE Giant Pandas worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Giant Panda Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2019. Web. 08 Dec 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-giant-pandas/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Giant Panda Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-giant-pandas/
Sponsored Links :