Horses – Major Classes and Types
The horse family is a small one, which includes only horses, donkeys, mules and zebras. Many members of this family are extinct. Modern horses are beloved family pets, but horses were originally kept only for their ability to work. Horses are strong and smart. Before cars were invented, they pulled carriages and wagons or people rode them. They were also used to pack things on their backs.
Besides the tame horses we know and love, several wild horses exist, including zebras and the American mustang. Mules are a cross between a donkey and a horse.
Fun Facts about Horses for Kids
- Horses have only one hoofed toe on each foot.
- Horses are related to rhinos and tapirs.
- Horses are known for their long legs. They can walk, trot, jump and gallop.
- People tamed horses about 4,000 years ago.
- Horses sleep only about three hours each day.
- Horses often sleep standing up. This trait allows wild horses to get away from predators quickly.
- Horses can run up to 50 mph for short periods.
- Extinct: gone from the earth
- Carriage: a horse-pulled vehicle
- Tame: not wild, gentle
- Mustang: wild horse
Learn More All About Horses
Watch this cool video of a trained horse:
A video display of a talented trained horse.
Question: How can you tell a horse’s age?
Answer: Look at his teeth. The older the horse, the more worn down the teeth.
Question: Do horses have good eyesight and hearing?
Answer: Horses can see almost all the way around them. They can’t see above their heads, which is why they don’t like to be touched on the tops of their heads. Their long ears hear well. Horses fold their ears back to show they are angry or scared.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Horse Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2019. Web. 23 Apr 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-horses/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Horse Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-horses/
Sponsored Links :