Wild Horses – How They Evolved From Early Horses
If you’ve seen the movie, “Spirit,” you know that cowboys and settlers captured wild horses and tamed them. But wild horses, or mustangs, still roam parts of America today. When Spanish explorers came to America in the 1500s, they brought horses with them. Some of those horses escaped into the wild. Today’s wild horses are the descendants of these early horses. Wild horses live in western states like Colorado and Idaho. Some live on islands off the east coast.
Fun Facts about Wild Horses for Kids
- Australian wild horses are called brumbies.
- Wild horses live on land owned by the government in the U.S.
- European wild horses, the Dulman horses, live in woodlands and forests in Germany.
- Wild horses live in herds. A male horse leads a herd of females and foals. When young male horses are two years old, they leave the herd and live with other young males.
- Wild horses graze on grass and leaves.
Wild Horse Vocabulary
- Settler: a person settling new land
- Explorer: a person who explores new lands
- Descendent: relatives
- Foal: baby horse
Learn More All About Wild Horses
Take a look at this fascinating video documentary about wild horses:
A nature film about the lifestyle of wild horses.
Wild Horse Q&A
Question: Are wild horses dangerous?
Answer: Wild horses are wild animals and will kick and bite if frightened.
Question: Are wild horses protected?
Answer: There are laws in the U.S. protecting wild horses, but the amount of land available to them is getting smaller.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Wild Horses info? Take the FREE & fun Wild Horses quiz and download FREE Wild Horses worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Wild Horses Fun Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2020. Web. 30 May 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-wild-horses/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Wild Horses Fun Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-wild-horses/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :