Sitatungas – The Only Species of Aquatic Antelope
What if you could walk across lily pads and floating plants without sinking? Sitatungas can. Sitatungas are the only species of aquatic antelope. They live in swamps and muddy woodlands in Central Africa. Their hooves are specially made for walking through water.
Fun Facts about Sitatungas for Kids
- Sitatungas eat grass, fallen fruit and water plants.
- Sitatungas stamp down grass in the swamp to make a cozy bed. Mothers have their babies on these beds. The babies stay there hidden for several weeks.
- Sitatungas are well-hidden in their habitat, but they trample down grass to make paths. If you watch for these paths, you just might find their hiding place.
- Males weigh between 150 and 275 pounds; females weigh between 110 and 125 pounds.
- Lily pad: floating aquatic plant
- Aquatic: found in water
- Swamp: muddy, watery place
- Python: large snake
- Trample: Crush with feet
Learn More All About Sitatungas
Watch a Sitatunga take a drink:
A video about a sitatunga in Chester Zoo taking a drink.
Question: Can sitatungas swim?
Answer: Yes, sitatungas are slow swimmers, but they can paddle for miles. They sometimes hide in the water with only their noses and eyes showing.
Question: Do humans hunt sitatungas?
Answer: Yes, in some places humans hunt these animals by setting traps along their paths.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Sitatungas info? Take the FREE & fun Sitatungas quiz and download FREE Sitatungas worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Sitatungas Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Mar 2021. Web. 07 Mar 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-sitatungas/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Fun Sitatungas Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-sitatungas/
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :