Ibex – Do Ibex Have Magical Powers?
A few hundred years ago, Europeans thought the ibex had magical powers. It does look a little like a unicorn with its long curving horns, but this animal is no myth. Ibex live in southern Europe and northern Africa. These magnificent animals look a bit like deer, but they’re actually a type of mountain goat. They live in mountain areas and come down in the evening to feed in forests and woodlands.
Male ibex live in small herds. In the fall, they fight each other to win the chance to mate with females. They run and crash against each other with their horns. Females live in larger herds with their babies. Ibex are herbivores. They eat lichens, grass, shrubs and woody plants.
Fun Facts about Ibex for Kids
- Ibex have beautiful chocolate or reddish brown coats.
- Ibex are hunted by bears, leopards, eagles and humans.
- Ibex do most of their grazing early in the morning and in the evening. They like to take naps on sunny rocks during the day.
- In the wild, these animals live only 10 to 18 years. In zoos, they can live up to 20 years.
- Ibex weigh between 140 and 220 pounds.
- Unicorn: mythical horned animal resembling a horse
- Magnificent: regal, beautiful, strong
- Woodland: place with trees and meadows
- Grazing: eating
- Lichens: a type of moss-like plant
Learn More All About Ibex
Watch this cool video of wild goats:
A video about wild goats rock climbing.
Question: How can you tell the difference between a wild sheep and a wild goat?
Answer: Wild sheep like big horn sheep usually have curled horns. Goats have beards and straight horns.
Question: What are female ibex’ called?
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Ibex Fun Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2019. Web. 23 Jul 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-ibex/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Ibex Fun Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-ibex/
Sponsored Links :