This musical video tells a lot of amazing fun facts about insects and their characteristics.
All about Insects
Almost everywhere you look on this planet, you will find dozens of the six leg critters called insects. A wildly sundry clump, the class insect includes ants, bees, flies and many more. All of these creatures possess a body composed of three parts: -head, thorax and abdomen, encased in a hard exoskeleton. They also sport a pair of antenna, compound eyes and three pairs of jointed legs. They play a vital role in keeping our ecosystems healthy.
Facts you didn’t know about insects:-
- Night butterflies are known to have ears on their wings so they can avoid bats.
- Monarch Caterpillars leave their skin four times before they become a chrysalis.
- Studies estimate that the total number of species on earth is probably closer to 9 million.
- Of the huge no. of insects, only a tiny amount, one percent of them are harmful to humans. Most insects are harmless or actually beneficial.
- Locusts can eat their own weight in food in a day.
- Out of every 1,000 mosquito, one female carries a disease that could be fatal to humans.
- The earliest fossil cockroach is about 280 million years old, about 80 million years older than the first dinosaurs.
- The honeybee has to travel an average of 45,000 miles to collect enough nectar to make a pound of honey. They have hair on their eyes.
- An average housefly lives for a month.
- A mosquito flaps its wings 500 times a second.
- About 80% of the earth’s animals are insects.
- Dragonflies can fly at a very high speed up to 50 miles per hour.
- A snail can sleep for about 3 years continuously.
- A butterfly has its taste receptors in its feet.