Mongooses – The Snakes Eaters
A mongoose moves very quickly to avoid a cobra’s bite. Scientist think mongooses might be immune to snake venom so it doesn’t hurt them. Mongooses also have thick skin and fur, which protects them from a cobra’s fangs.
Besides snakes, mongooses eat lizards, insects, beetles, eggs, fruit, birds and small mammals. But you won’t see any mongooses in your neighborhood. Mongooses live in Africa, Asia and parts of Europe. People have brought them to Costa Rica and Hawaii, but it’s against the law to bring them to the U.S.
Fun Facts about Mongooses for Kids
- Mongooses are small, no larger than a cat.
- Some mongooses have banded fur.
- Mongooses often live in packs. One member of the pack stands guard. It whistles or cries to alert the other mongooses of trouble. The pack hides underground until it’s safe to come out.
- Mongooses are good moms. The babies are born in a den and stay there for a few weeks. When the babies come out, all the mongooses help care for them. It’s like a big mongoose daycare!
- A baby mongoose is called a pub. A number of babies is called a litter.
- A group of mongooses is known by different names: Gang – Pack – Mob – Troop.
- Immune: Protected from
- Venom: Snake poison
- Alert: Call or inform
- Den: Cave or hole in the ground
Learn More All About Mongooses
Watch a mongoose duke it out with a cobra:
A video documentary clip of an Indian Gray Mongoose preying on a Cobra Snake.
Question: Are mongooses nocturnal?
Answer: Mongooses are diurnal, which means they are awake during the day.
Question: Are mongooses social?
Answer: Sometimes mongooses live alone, but they also live in packs. They share their food and help each other.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Mongoose Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 15 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-mongooses/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Fun Mongoose Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-mongooses/
We've recently added
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
Sponsored Links :