Green Basilisk Lizard – Lizards That Can Walk on Water
In Central America lives one of the most interesting lizards on earth – the green basilisk lizard. This lizard is sometimes called a double-crested basilisk. It is bright green and has a fringe on its back. It has a long, long tail.
Green basilisks spend most of their time in trees, but they always live near water. If they sense danger, they drop to the water to make their escape.
Fun Facts about the Green Basilisk Lizard for Kids
- The green basilisk can walk on water. It drops out of trees and runs very quickly across water to escape predators. Because it can walk on water, it is sometimes called the Jesus Christ lizard.
- The green basilisk runs on its back legs on the water. Special folds of skin on its feet spread out to create a sort of paddle.
- Basilisks can only go about 20 feet on the water before they start to sink. They’re fast swimmers, though. They can stay underwater for 30 minutes.
- Green basilisks lay between 10 and 20 eggs in a hole in the ground. The mothers don’t stick around to hatch the babies. The babies can take care of themselves from the moment they’re born.
- Green basilisks are omnivores. They eat fruit, plants, insects and small animals.
Green Basilisk Lizard Vocabulary
- Fringe: decorative folds of skin
- Escape: get away
- Predator: an animal that hunts other animals
- Omnivore: an animal that eats plants and animals
Learn More All About the Green Basilisk Lizard
Check out this cool video of the basilisk lizard:
A video documentary about the green basilisk lizard walking on water to catch its food.
Green Basilisk Lizard Q&A
Question 1: Do basilisks hibernate?
Answer 1: Basilisks live in warm regions and don’t hibernate.
Question 2: How fast can basilisks run on the water?
Answer 2: They can run up to 5 feet per second.
Question 3: What do Basilisk Lizards eat?
Answer 3: Basilisk Lizards like to eat insects, flowers, fruit, small rodents and even other lizards.
Question 4: Can the Basilisk Lizard walk on water?
Answer 4: Yes they can and they have been nicknamed the “Jesus Christ Lizard”. This name is referenced after the biblical event in which the scholars made reference to Jesus Christ walking on water.
Question 5: Where do Basilisk Lizards Live?
Answer 5: Basilisk Lizards live in the tropical rain forests typically found in South American, Mexico and Central America.
Question 6: How big to Green Basilisk Lizards grow?
Answer 6: Green Basilisk Lizards can grow up to 2 feet long. This is including their tail.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about the Green Basilisk Lizard info? Take the FREE & fun all about the Green Basilisk Lizard quiz and download FREE all about the Green Basilisk Lizard worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Green Basilisk Lizard Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2019. Web. 20 May 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-the-green-basilisk-lizard/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Green Basilisk Lizard Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-the-green-basilisk-lizard/
Sponsored Links :