How Puffer Fish Survive Predators Facts for Kids Video
Puffer fish is also known as blow fish or balloon fish. They have highly elastic stomach and use them to escape from predators. They quickly absorb a large amount of water or if necessary, they ingest air as well. This technique turns them in to a virtually inedible round object, making them several times larger than their size.
Fast Facts: –
- Most of the puffer fishes contain a substance making them foul tasting. It is caked tetrodotoxin and it is sufficient to cause death.
- One puffer fish contain enough toxins to kill more than 30 people.
- There is no known antidote for puffer fish’s toxin. It is 1,000 times more poisonous than cyanide.
- Their slow and uncoordinated swimming style makes them unprotected by predators.
- There are around 120 known species of puffer fish.
- Puffer fishes are mostly found in warm tropical and subtropical ocean waters.
- These fishes do not have scales. Some of them have spines. They generally have skin from rough to spiky.
- They have four teeth which are fused together and form a structure like beak.
- Puffer fishes generally feed on algae and invertebrates.
- The Stellate puffer fish is the largest one. They can reach up to 4 feet in length.
- The dwarf puffer fish is the smallest which cannot reach even up to one inch. These fishes have a choice whether they want to be a male or a female.
- Puffer fishes can change their colour in response to their environment.
- More colourful puffer fish, the more poisonous it is.
- They can be easily found in the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean and Indian Ocean.
- Some species of puffer fish like: – green spotted fish can be kept as pet but they require a lot of care.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Puffer Fish ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2020. Web. 27 May 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/how-puffer-fish-survive-predators-facts-for-kids-video-3/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts for Kids about Puffer Fish. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/how-puffer-fish-survive-predators-facts-for-kids-video-3/
We've recently added
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
- Explore the Wet-Sand Effect at Home
- How to Bake Ice Cream Without it Melting
- Make your Artwork Dance!
- Food Insecurity
Sponsored Links :