Introduction to Microbiology Facts for Kids Video
Microbiology can be defined as a subfield of biology. This branch includes the study of unicellular, acellular or multicellular microscopic organisms. These microorganisms are living creatures that are not visible to naked human eye. A microscope is required to see those organisms. Different animals and even human beings have been home to these microbes. Human body has more microbes than human cells. These microbes make up the micro biome collectively. We are actually born bacteria-free but acquire them in the first few years of our lives.
Quick Facts: –
- Microbiology is further divided into two branches: – studies of Eukaryotic and Prokaryotic.
- Eukaryotes have membrane-bound organelles and Prokaryotes do not have these organelles.
- These microbes generate around half of the oxygen that we breathe.
- Some different types of microorganisms are: – algae, fungi, bacteria, viruses and protozoa.
- All bacteria are not necessarily harmful. Some of them are important for keeping us healthy.
- Over use of antibiotics can cause asthma and obesity as it gives rise to deadly strains of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
- All the bacteria present in human body collectively weigh around 4 pound.
- Gonorrhea bacteria are the strongest creature on the earth as it can pull 100,000 times of their own weight.
- Bacteria have the smallest eyeballs of all the living creatures on the earth.
- Antoni van Leeuwenhoek, a Dutch cloth merchant was the first person to visualize microorganisms in 1676.
- Viruses are not alive as they lack any form of energy and carbon metabolism. They cannot replicate or evolve.
- A microbiologist could figure out how to prevent food from moulding quickly.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Microbiology ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2019. Web. 07 Dec 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/introduction-to-microbiology-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about Microbiology. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/introduction-to-microbiology-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :