Longest River in the World Facts for Kids Video
Longest River in the World
Nile River is the longest in the entire world. The length of this river is approximately 6650 kilometres. It lies in following countries: – Eritrea, Kenya, Burundi, Congo, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Sudan, Egypt, and Ethiopia. The name Nile has been derived from Greek word Neilos that means valley. The largest source of the Nile River is Lake Victoria. It originates in Burundi and flows into the Mediterranean Sea. This river has huge significance in regards to Ancient Egypt. Most of the historical sites are located along the banks of Nile River. Approximately 40 million people live in the Nile Delta Region.
Quick Facts: –
- The area next to the Nile River was known as the black land.
- The average discharge of the river is 3.1 million litres per second.
- There are two major branches of the Nile: the White Nile and the Blue Nile.
- The Nile basin is very large and it includes Tanzania, Kenya, Congo, Rwanda and Burundi.
- This river serves as a major source of transportation.
- Nile River has an environment friendly land on both the sides.
- Only 22% of Nile River passes through Egypt.
- The river is able to create extremely fertile soil because of the annual spring floods.
- Lake Tana, Ethiopia is the source of Blue Nile and Lake Victoria, Uganda is of White Nile.
- The major dams within the Nile River are: – Sennar Dam, Roseires Dam, Owens Drop and Aswan High Dam.
- The Nile River delta is home to many species of animals like, turtle, crocodile, baboons etc. and more than 300 species of birds.
- The Nile crocodile has been a major component of the Egyptian culture.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Longest river in the World ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2020. Web. 05 Jul 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/longest-river-in-the-world-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Facts about Longest river in the World. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/longest-river-in-the-world-facts-for-kids-video/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :