Mozambique lies in Southeastern Africa, along the Indian Ocean. Its neighbors include South Africa, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi and Tanzania. Mozambique is mostly savannah grasslands. The powerful Limpopo and Zambezi Rivers run through the country.
Mozambique was ruled by Portugal for almost 500 years. During colonial rule, the Portuguese government did little to build roads, supply clean water or install electrical lines. When Mozambique gained its independence in 1974, many Portuguese workers and leaders left the country, leaving it poor and without leadership. Mozambique has endured many years of war and conflict.
Another problem for Mozambique is almost constant natural disasters. The country is prone to both flooding and drought.
- 24.5 million people live in Mozambique.
- The country has 313,661 square miles of land.
- The main languages include Portuguese and indigenous languages.
- Christianity is the main religion. Some people keep their native faiths or follow Islamic teachings.
- The life expectancy is 51 years.
- Savannah: wide, open, grassy plains
- Colonial: ruled by another remote country
- Install: put into place
- Prone: likely to experience
- Drought: lack of rainfall, resulting in crop failure
Visit National Geographic to learn more about Mozambique.
Question: Do people earn money through fishing in Mozambique?
Answer: Yes, people fish in the rivers and the Indian Ocean. Mozambique includes several tropical islands.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Mozambique Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jul 2020. Web. 13 Jul 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/mozambique/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Fun Mozambique Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/mozambique/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :