Pythagoras – Greek Mathematician
Pythagoras was a Greek mathematician and also spiritual leader and philosopher. He founded a religious group called Pythagoreans and a movement known as Pythagoreanism.
This religious group worshiped the God Apollo. It is believed that he was the first person who referred to himself as a philosopher. His theories are still used in mathematics today.
He is best known for introducing the Pythagorean Theorem which states that “a right-angled triangle, the area of the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the areas of the squares of the other two sides,”
Quick Facts: –
- Pythagoras strongly believed that the Earth was round and that mathematics could explain the physical world.
- He also gave an idea that the stars and planets in the universe move according to mathematical equations.
- The Pythagorean Theorem is believed to have been used by the ancient Babylonians and the Indians.
- It is also believed that he made some important contributions in different fields including medicine, music, astronomy etc.
- He believed that there is some kind of connection between religion and mathematics.
- Pythagoras also had a great influence over other philosophers including Plato. Both of them had a similar approach.
- It is believed that he probably taught his pupils by speaking to them as no books or writing by him have been found.
- His followers believed that he had already lived four lives and he could remember all of them.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Cool Facts for Kids about Pythagoras ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2019. Web. 23 Apr 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/pythagoras-facts/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Cool Facts for Kids about Pythagoras. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/pythagoras-facts/
Sponsored Links :